How are Forums funded and supported?

Parent carer forums are set up in most local authority areas of England.  The Department of Education provides a small yearly grant to each forum in order for them to carry out and support their work.

The grant application and monitoring process is administered by Contact a Family who support forums to apply for the grant and provide advice and information about how to use the grant.  Contact a Family is a national charity for families with disabled children.  They provide information, advice and support as well campaigning to improve their circumstances, and for their right to be included and equal in society.  More information about the work of Contact a Family can be found here.

Some forums also receive funding from their local authority and health authority to support their work.  In 2013, CaPa were given a small grant from Thurrock Council in order to help set up the forum and to show their commitment to working together.  More information about the services offered by Thurrock Council can be found here.

CaPa’s grant monies are held by Thurrock Centre for Independent Living which is a charity offering support and advice on a variety of issues which affect disabled people.  More information about their work can be found here.